Hi,

I'm a associate professor working in the field of model-based UI design (see http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~hal/research/). Among others, I've made a Eclipse-based (EMF+GMF) dialog modeling tool with some support for functional prototyping. WireframeSketcher complements my tool nicely, since it's focus is on creating a rough mockup, while mine is more formal modeling of behavior.

Now I wonder if I may utilize your tool in some way. One possibility is translating your screen file to my diamodl file, to make it easier to model the behavior of the mockup. However, I wonder what I'm allowed to do, like extract and use the model.ecore file in the plugin's jar.

I'm also recommending your tool to students working on a modeling exercise (sketching before modeling), I hope that's OK.

Regards,

Hallvard Trętteberg

Hi Hallvard,

Thank you for your interest in WireframeSketcher.

I see no issue with an external use of model.ecore file. Our XML format meant to be open so if exposing model.ecore helps here I see no problems for it being used externally. If there is more interest in this issue I can envision publishing model.ecore directly on our site.

I'm also recommending your tool to students working on a modeling exercise (sketching before modeling), I hope that's OK.

I am only glad that our product can be useful to you and to your students!

Best regards,

Peter.

Thanks for the positive answer! Since I'm already using EMF, being able to use model.ecore should be very helpful.

Regarding our use of the product: Is the current version just for evaluation/trial with limited functionality or a built-in timeout? The preferences indicate that it's for evaluation, but I cannot find other information about this. Will I eventually need to buy a license, will there be a community edition or one for non-commercial use?

Yes, it's an evaluation version, but it's not time-limited. The only limitation is the watermark printed on exported images.

We are still deciding on possible licensing options. As I have mentioned in the other thread, we would like to offer free licenses to open-source developers.